Reciprocating compressors of various designs and applications are encountered nowadays throughout refining, petrochemical, and process industries, as well as in power generation and environmental engineering.
This course is designed to provide you with a complete understanding of construction details and the functioning of reciprocating compressors. This understanding is a prerequisite for the successful operation of your plant and piping system.
The course includes extensive graphics, 3D animations, and cross-sectional views to give you practical virtual exposure to reciprocating compressors.
The objective of this course is threefold:
- Break down for you all the reciprocating compressor operating principles into easily digestible concepts like gas compression, capacity control, pulsation control, compressor lubrication, and cooling…
- Illustrate the main compressor mechanical components through 3D animations and cross-sectional views, state their function and operating limits, like bearings, packings, crossheads, pistons, valves…
- Provide guidelines and best practices for operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of reciprocating compressors in accordance with the API 618 standard
- Understand the working principles of reciprocating compressors for the successful operation of your plant and piping system
- Understand the construction details of reciprocating compressors for successful maintenance and troubleshooting (crankshafts, bearings, crossheads, connecting rods, pistons, packings, rings, valves, unloaders…)
- Perform various calculations to size and assess compressor performance (head, discharge temperature, inlet capacity, piston displacement, volumetric efficiency…)
- Understand what affects the selection and design of reciprocating compressors (process conditions, gas characteristics, foundation needs, power supply, interstaging, altitude…)
- Know how to adapt your compressor capacity to your system demand changes using various techniques (intake valve unloading, clearance pocket, variable volume valve, 5-step control…)
- Understand the concept of pulsation, how it can affect your compressor performance and how to control it according to the API 618 standard
- Know how to size suction and discharge volume bottles to control reciprocating compressor pulsation
- Understand the importance of compressor lubrication
- Discover the various compressor lubrication systems and how they operate (splash, splash, and flood, full pressure circulation…)
- Understand the importance of compressor cooling, intercooling, and aftercooling
- Discover the various compressor cooling systems and how they operate (series flow, parallel flow, closed systems…)
- Analyze the problems in operation related to compressor valves, pulsation control, capacity control…